Saturday 23 July 2011

Out of this World: again

Second visit to the Out of this World exhibition at the British Library. I've spent another hour in there, and I was still nowhere near finishing seeing the whole thing. Maybe I'm a slow browser, but I'd like to think that it's due to the sheer amount of material on display. It always astonishes me how London can provide us with such high quality exhibition for free.

So far, I've browsed the sections on space travel and aliens, and on future societies and humans. It's interesting to read about how right and wrong these writers were, and how our society really is more futuristic beyond their imagination (perhaps with the exception of space travel and flying cars).

Science fiction, and exhibitions like this, highlights a pretty overlap between history, science and art. It also reminded me of religion. Some the ideas presented can easily take a mystical persecutive rather than an intellectual one. And inversely I feel that some of the prophets or oracles of the olden days can perhaps be good science fiction writers, if given the chance. I guess at least one modern cult has its origin based on science fiction.

I'm looking forward to go there again another day, to look through the section on parallel universes.

No comments:

Post a Comment